|Mr. Ralph Tucker, Chair of the Board of Directors of the Workplace Health Safety and Compensation Commission|
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Creating a healthy and safe work environment in Labrador West:
Mr. Ralph Tucker, Chair of the Board of Directors of the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission (the Commission) and Ms. Leslie Galway, newly appointed Chief Executive Officer, will present the luncheon address at the Labrador West Chamber of Commerce, Wabush Hotel, Grenfell Drive, on February 13 at 12 p.m. The focus of their presentation will be on the importance of creating a safe work environment throughout Newfoundland and Labrador.
The Commission works to foster commitment to workplace health and safety among employers, workers and others by:
- Promoting public awareness of workplace health and safety issues;
- Educating employers, workers and others about workplace health and safety;
- Providing services to health and safety committees and representatives;
- Taking the lead in health and safety certification by setting standards under the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Working with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Occupational Health and Safety Branch, with respect to workplace health and safety;
- Promoting funding for workplace health and safety research; and
- Partnering with industry associations, government departments, unions and health and safety coalitions across the province to reduce workplace injuries and diseases.
Since 2004, the Commission through its prevention education and awareness efforts has completed 210 prevention workshops and trained over four thousand participants province-wide.
In addition, programs like the CEO Leadership Charter and the employer incentive program PRIME, assist workplaces in creating a more safe work environment.
The Board of Directors and senior officials of the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission will be meeting in Labrador from February 13 to15.
Media are encouraged to send representatives.